Note: This course can be started at any time until June 20, 2023, and it will be closed for all participants on July 4, 2023. Please note that all assignments should be submitted before the end date in order to obtain the certificate.
This course will help you design and deliver an outstanding learning experience whatever your individual need. This may be converting an existing face-to-face course, looking to move towards blended learning or developing your own skills as an instructional designer.
TU Delft is a leader in the field of online education. Our TU Delft course design method is based on the extensive expertise of education professionals who have been developing large numbers of online courses (more than 200) followed by more than three and a half million learners. Our courses have received several awards. Amongst the many nominations, we are three times winners of the annual edX Prize for Exceptional Contributions to Online Teaching and Learning.
The TU Delft Online Learning Experience (OLE) model will guide the course design process to guarantee a learner-centered approach. The TU Delft Course Development Process will be introduced to improve efficiency in design and project planning. The course is designed around the following four phases:
- Plan: you will blueprint your online course reflecting on your target audience, their learning needs and objectives. You will draft a storyboard that tells your story while including the course elements you need.
- Produce: you will design an online course module to test the viability of your proposal and consider and evaluate what other tools and educational technology you may want to use.
- Run: you will plan how you will engage your online learners and write a relevant communication plan to implement while running your course. You will reflect on how to motivate them to complete tasks and assignments and to interact with peers, while monitoring their progress and building a safe learning atmosphere.
- Evaluate: you will plan how to make changes while your course is running, how to collect learners’ feedback, and how to include improvements in a new course iteration.
You will have full access to the content of the course from your start date, so that you can follow it at your own pace. You can participate in active discussions with fellow learners and instructors and attend bi-weekly optional webinars where participants share experiences, discuss the assignments, and gain feedback from both peers and instructors on their course design. The instructors will provide you with personalized feedback on your course design and implementation plans. You will experiment with novel tools and upon the course completion, walk away with a practical blueprint, a storyboard, the setup of a first module on a learning platform of your choice, and a communication plan for your online training.
When you successfully complete the course and submit the assignments, you will receive a certificate of completion and will be entitled to claim 3 CEUs (Continuing Education Unit).
What You'll Learn
After taking the course, you will be able to:
- Explore and evaluate an educational tool of your choice and your Learning Management System (LMS).
- Use the TU Delft Online Learning Experience (OLE) model to create a learner-centered course.
- Apply the TU Delft Course Development Process to (re)design your online course.
- Create a course blueprint for your online course defining your target audience, learning objectives and learning needs.
- Create a storyboard for your online course with relevant learning activities.
- Build a learning sequence for an online course in Open edX or other platforms.
- Plan an engaging learning experience from the outset.
- Reflect on your role in online learning, as a designer, moderator and/or facilitator and plan your next steps.
The course is organized in 5 modules. A brief summary of each module is presented below.
In the Getting Started section, become familiar with the course structure and the virtual learning environment, complete your profile, introduce yourself, and meet your fellow learners and the moderators.
Module 1. Explore tools and the TU Delft Online Learning Experience (OLE) Model
We will introduce you to the TU Delft Course Development Process and the design models we apply when creating online courses. You will explore an online educational tool of your choice and your organization’s LMS (if you do not have one yet, you will be invited to explore some options).
Module 2. Design your course blueprint with the TU Delft OLE model
You will draft a course blueprint for your online course design. You are going to apply three of the principles of the TUD OLE model focusing on the learner’s experience in your course and incorporating the Constructive Alignment Theory into your own course design. You will determine your target audience, learning needs and learning objectives.
Module 3. Planning your course through a storyboard
You will write a detailed draft-skeleton of your course in a storyboard. You will reflect on the story you would like to tell and on what steps you have to follow to deliver the message and make the learning actually happen.
Module 4. Produce an online course module
You will create a module or produce a learning sequence in an online learning platform (such as Open edX or the one that your institution or organization uses). You are going to try out your activities and define your assessment in that platform.
Module 5. Engaging your audience
You will create a communication plan for your course and reflect on your role as an online moderator. You will consider the way that interactions in your course will achieve the right balance of learner-to-content and learner-to-learner interactions. You will also consider including learner-instructor/trainer interaction and its frequency.
Module 6. Evaluating your course
You will consider how to make changes to the course while your course is running, and how to plan changes for future editions (course evaluation). You will reflect upon your role as a designer, moderator and/or facilitator in online learning and your experience using the course development process.
Throughout the course, you will have access to additional resources, for example on moderation and learner engagement, on finding Open Educational Resources and on how to reuse existing educational material.
Webinars: online webinars (optional) will be hosted bi-weekly from 13.30 to 14.30 (CEST).
Certificates and CEUs
If you successfully complete this course you will earn a professional education certificate and you are eligible to receive 3.0 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
None. This course can benefit educators at all levels, professionals in the area of education and development, and trainers who wish to design or redesign online, remote or blended courses, workshops or training, as well as instructional designers or learning developers who would like to gain expertise in designing online courses or training sessions following the TUD style.
TU Delft instructors can enroll in this course for free
Are you currently an instructor or employee at TU Delft? You can enroll with a discount (collect your discount code on this page). Then enroll in this course and enter your discount code.
If you have any questions about this course or the TU Delft online learning environment, please visit our Help & Support page.