While big data infiltrates all walks of life, most firms have not changed sufficiently to meet the challenges that come with it. In this course, you will learn how to develop a big data strategy, transform your business model and your organization.
This course will enable professionals to take their organization and their own career to the next level, regardless of their background and position.
Professionals will learn how to be in charge of big data instead of being subject to it. In particular, they will become familiar with tools to:
- assess their current situation regarding potential big data-induced changes of a disruptive nature,
- identify their options for successfully integrating big data in their strategy, business model and organization, or if not possible, how to exit quickly with as little loss as possible, and
- strengthen their own position and that of their organization in our digitalized knowledge economy
During the course, your most pressing questions will be answered in our feedback videos with the lecturer. In the assignments of the course, you will choose a sector and a stakeholder. For this, you will develop your own strategy and business model. This will help you identify the appropriate organizational structure and potential contributions and positions for yourself.
What you'll learn
- Identify the stakeholders and characteristics of your sector in the era of big data
- Identify potential big data induced changes in strategy, business model, organization and job descriptions
- Substantially change existing strategy, business model, organization or adopt new ones as required
- Find and develop strategically important tasks for yourself in your organization
- Challenges and Opportunities of big data
- Big data in the digitalized knowledge economy
- Are firms ready for big data?
- The machine learning revolution
- Stakeholders and Sectors
- Stakeholders: Private or public goals
- Sectors: Disruptive or incremental changes induced by big data
- Assignment Part A
- Big data upending strategy and innovation
- Conventional wisdom on strategy and innovation
- Wisdom considering the disruptive power of big data
- Assignment Part B
- Transforming building blocks of the business model canvas
- What does big data mean for the different building blocks of the business model canvas?
- Assignment Part C
- Transforming the organization: CIO, CDO or CEO in the lead?
- What does big data mean for the organization of your company?
- Who leads the way?
- Assignment Part D
- Wrapping up
- Ready for big data
This is a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) that runs on edX.
Secondary school giving access to university studies required. Bachelor degree would be an advantage.