Jules van Lier is full professor of Environmental Engineering and Wastewater Treatment at the Sanitary Engineering Section of Delft University of Technology and has a 1-day-per-week posted position at the Unesco-IHE Institute for Water Education, also in Delft. Jules van Lier accomplished his PhD on Thermophilic Anaerobic Wastewater Treatment in 1995, under the supervision of Prof. Gatze Lettinga at Wageningen University.
Throughout his career, he has been involved as a senior researcher / project manager in various national and international research projects, working on cost-effective water treatment for resource recovery (water, nutrients, biogas, elements). His research projects are focused on closing water cycles in industries and sewage water recovery for irrigated agriculture.
The further development of anaerobic treatment technology is his prime focus. In addition to university work, he is an Executive Board Member and Scientific Advisor to the LeAF Foundation; regional representative for Western Europe Anaerobic Digestion Specialist group of the International Water Association (IWA); editor of scientific journals (e.g., Water Science Technology and Advances in Environmental Research and Development); member of the Paques Technological Advisory Commission; and member of the Advisory Board of World-Waternet, Amsterdam.
Professor of Environmental Engineering / Wastewater Treatment at the Department of Water Management, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Delft University of Technology
PhD in Thermophilic Anaerobic Wastewater Treatment, Wageningen University and Research Centre
MSc in Environmental Technology, Wageningen University and Research Centre
BSc in Biology, Radboud University Nijmegen
- Fernandes, TV, Lier, JB van & Zeeman, G (2015). Humic Acid-Like and Fulvic Acid-Like Inhibition on the Hydrolysis of Cellulose and Tributyrin. BioEnergy Research, 1-11.
- Lousada Ferreira, MdC, Lier, JB van & Graaf, JHJM (2015). Impact of suspended solids concentration on sludge filterability in Full-scale membrane bioreactors. Journal of Membrane Science, 476(Februari), 68-75.
- Bergmans, BJC, Veltman, AM, Loosdrecht, MCM van, Lier, JB van & Rietveld, LC (2014). Struvite formation for enhanced dewaterability of digested wastewater sludge. Environmental Technology, 35(5), 549-555.
- Dereli, RK, Zee, FP van der, Heffernan, B, Grelot, A & Lier, JB van (2014). Effect of sludge retention time on the biological performance of anaerobic membrane bioreactors treating corn-to-ethanol thin stillage with high lipid content. Water Research, 49(February), 453-464.
- Dereli, RK, Grelot, A, Heffernan, B, Zee, FP van der & Lier, JB van (2014). Implications of changes in solids retention time on long term evolution of sludge filterability in anaerobic membrane bioreactors treating high strength industrial wastewater. Water Research, 59(August), 11-22.