Jan Kwakkel is an associate professor. His research interest is model-based decision support for decision making under deep uncertainty. He is the lead developer of an open source workbench for exploratory modeling, scenario discovery, and multi-objective robust optimization. He is currently funded through a VENI grant, which is a personal development grant of the Dutch National Science Foundation. His research focuses on the developing innovative model-based techniques for the design of dynamic adaptive policy pathways.
Next to his research on decision making under deep uncertainty, Jan also has an interested in text mining with a focus on analyzing scientific publications and patents.
Decision making under deep uncertainty.
Robust decision making.
Associate professor at the department of Multi-Actor Systems, faculty of Technology, Policy and Management, Delft University of Technology
BA, Philosophy, Leiden University
MSc, Systems Engineering, Policy Analysis and Management, Delft University of Technology
- Kwakkel, J.H., M. Haasnoot, & W.E. Walker. (2015). Developing Dynamic Adaptive Policy Pathways: A computer-assisted approach for developing adaptive strategies for a deeply uncertain world. Climatic Change. DOI: 10.1007/s10584-014-1210-4.
- Haasnoot, M., Kwakkel, J.H., Walker, W.E., & ter Maat, J. (2013) Dynamic Adaptive Policy Pathways: A Method for Crafting Robust Decisions for a Deeply Uncertain World, Global Environmental Change. DOI: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2012.12.006
- Walker, W.E., Haasnoot, M. & Kwakkel, J.H. (2013) Adapt or Perish: A Review of Planning Approaches for Adaptation under Deep Uncertainty. Sustainability. vol 5, pp. 955-979. DOI: 10.3390/su5030955
- Kwakkel, J.H. & Pruyt, E. (2013) Exploratory Modeling and Analysis, an approach for model-based foresight under deep uncertainty. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 419-43. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2012.10.005
- Kwakkel, J.H., Walker, W.E., Marchau, V.A.W.J. (2010), Classifying and communicating uncertainties in model-based policy analysis. International Journal of Technology, Policy and Management, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 299-315