Annemiek van Boeijen is an assistant professor for the Design Aesthetics Section of Industrial Design Engineering in Delft. Her research focuses on the role of culture in design processes. Her aim is to develop and design methods & tools that support designers with a culture-sensitive approach to design.
She is initiator and co-editor of the Delft Design Guide, which she initially developed in response to the practical needs of both students and teachers. It is an accessible overview of the design methods taught in Delft, presented in an attractive form.
Annemiek is also moderator of the awarded Massive Open Online Course Product Design: The Delft Design Approach.
Culture in design; understanding the influence of culture and how to deal with it in design processes.
Design for values; reasoning from culture specific values to product manifestations.
Cultural meaning of things.
Cultural integration, bridging cultures by design.
Design projects for the Base of the Pyramid (largest population in the world that earns least).
Culture sensitive design education.
More information on ID-StudioLab, a design research community.
Assistant professor at the Design Aesthetics Section, Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology
PhD, Delft University of Technology
MSc in Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology
- van Boeijen, A.G.C., Sonneveld, M.H.J. , Hao, C. (2017). Culture sensitive design education – the best of all worlds. In proceedings Engineering and Product Design Education conference, 7-8 September 2017, Oslo, Norway.
- Hao, C., van Boeijen, A.G.C., Sonneveld, M.H.J., Stappers, P.J. (2017). Generative research techniques crossing cultures: a field study in China. International Journal of Cultural and Creative Industries.
- Hao, C., van Boeijen, A.G.C., Stappers, P.J. (2017). Towards Cultura: a communication toolkit for designers to gain empathic insights across cultural boundaries. In proceedings of IASDR.
- Hao, C., van Boeijen, A.G.C., Stappers, P.J. (2017). Culture sensitive contextual design research: discovering and using participants' strength. In proceedings Engineering and Product Design Education conference, 7-8 September 2017, Oslo, Norway.
- van Boeijen, A.G.C. (2016). Culture specific or global design in open online design education. In proceedings Engineering and Product Design Education conference, 8-9 September 2016, Aalborg, Denmark.
- van Boeijen, A.G.C. (2015). Card set: Crossing Cultural Chasms: Towards a culture-conscious approach to design. Delft Univesity of Technology, Delft. www.designandculture.info