Annemiek van Boeijen is an assistant professor for the Design Aesthetics Section of Industrial Design Engineering in Delft. Her research focuses on the role of culture in design processes. Her aim is to develop and design methods & tools that support designers with a culture-sensitive approach to design.
She is initiator and co-editor of the Delft Design Guide, which she initially developed in response to the practical needs of both students and teachers. It is an accessible overview of the design methods taught in Delft, presented in an attractive form.
Annemiek is also moderator of the awarded Massive Open Online Course Product Design: The Delft Design Approach.
- Culture in design; understanding the influence of culture and how to deal with it in design processes.
- Design for values; reasoning from culture specific values to product manifestations.
- Cultural meaning of things.
- Cultural integration, bridging cultures by design.
- Design projects for the Base of the Pyramid (largest population in the world that earns least).
- Culture sensitive design education.
More information on ID-StudioLab, a design research community.
Assistant professor at the Design Aesthetics Section, Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology
PhD, Delft University of Technology
MSc in Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology