Enhance your knowledge and skills in effective methods of managing the lifespan of biomedical equipment in a limited-resource environment.
With limited resources increasingly prevalent, healthcare technology management is often a challenge. Through this course we offer a practical approach to healthcare management that is tailored to this particular healthcare environment. The course will help you to manage uncertainties, defects and/or the unavailability of resources and personnel that may prevent proper and effective healthcare.
This course is designed for health technology/facility managers and biomedical engineers operating in limited resource settings to help preserve quality health services by sharing ways to manage the life cycle of biomedical devices effectively and efficiently. The course focuses on the entire equipment life cycle from planning, budgeting and purchasing to daily operation, decommissioning and disposal.
After completing this course, learners will be able to make better decisions and chart out systematic plans for managing biomedical equipment at their healthcare center.
What You'll Learn
- Understand the principles and tools of healthcare technology management
- Plan, assess and create a budget for biomedical equipment, procurement and maintenance
- Acquire relevant and appropriate biomedical equipment from companies and donors
- Manage operating biomedical equipment
- Overcome pitfalls and challenges to manage biomedical equipment effectively in limited-resource settings
Week 1: Introduction to Health Technology Management
In this module you will get an overview of HTM.
- Basics of HTM
- Life cycle of a biomedical device
- Ecosystem of healthcare units
- Finances and funding of different levels of healthcare units
Week 2: General asset management 1: Planning tools
In this module you will learn about the systematic tools that you can use to discover your direction of travel and to plan the budget and procurement of biomedical devices.
- How to create inventories?
- Stock value estimates
- Budget lines
- Reference materials
- Standard equipment lists
Week 3: General asset management 2: Budgeting and storage tools
In this module you will learn how to calculate budgets for equipment that is needed.
- Capital and recurrent budgeting
- Equipment development plan
- Core equipment expenditure plan
- Storage and reordering budget
Week 4: Procurement
In this module you will learn the procedures and strategies to procure biomedical equipment based on the budgets and plans.
- Different procurement methods
- Procurement procedure
- Installation and registration of the procured equipment
Week 5: Daily operation management
In this module you will learn how to manage the equipment when it is in use.
- Planned corrective maintenance and repair
- Workshop management
Week 6: Decommissioning and disposal
- Procedures to decommission/replace the equipment
- Correct disposal of damaged equipment
- Summary and finalizing the course
This is a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) that runs on edX.
- Highschool diploma
- Familiarity/experience with healthcare systems