Master design knowledge required to improve the patient experience in healthcare systems
Professional Certificate Program
A series of career-oriented courses to develop in-demand skills.
Healthcare systems strive to offer better treatment and improve its service level for a growing number of patients. Designers can contribute to this goal by offering their unique human-centered thinking and creative solutions. In this program, you will learn key design methods and learn to apply them to healthcare through mastering a unique method of patient journey mapping.
There are several design methods that focus on the patient journey (built upon concepts derived from “customer journey”). By looking into the patient journey in great detail, designers can generate useful solutions for very specific problems. At the same time, other professionals in healthcare can learn how design can help with facilitating better care.
- Healthcare providers continuously seek ways to improve patient satisfaction, and can benefit from new approaches. (McKinsey in Healthcare, August 2015)
- Job opportunities include: experience designer, innovation manager in healthcare, product manager in healthcare or consultant.
- Estimated annual salary of senior industrial designers amounts to $90,709 per year. (indeed.com)
Real Career Impact
"Understanding people is one of the hardest and most rewarding challenges of an innovation team. It is easy to make assumptions about how others experience the world, which leads to poorly thought-out products and services. Customer and patient journey mappings of all the different stakeholders, including patients, medical staff, etc., play a crucial role in this and are an important part of the design toolbox. These visual maps capture activities and emotions of people in a particular context over time. This program can help learners see and understand their customers in new ways, and spot the insights that lead to people-centered solutions." — Dr. ir Paul Gardien, Head of Design Strategy & Design Innovation, Vice President Philips Design
What You'll Learn
- Key design methods taught at TU Delft.
- The design process – from understanding the user in context to delivering a great design.
- How to develop a patient journey.
- How and when to use the method of patient journey mapping in design activities.
- How to identify design opportunities starting from the patient journey.
The Professional Certificate
Created by leading companies and top universities, Professional Certificate programs are a series of in-demand courses designed to develop the critical skills needed for today’s top jobs.