"With online education we can share knowledge anywhere in the world and learn from the situations in sewage treatment abroad. Moreover, the online material gives the opportunity for on-campus courses to flip the classroom and create more time for discussion, exercises and formative assessment in class."
Merle de Kreuk is a wastewater Associate Professor at the Sanitary Engineering department of the Delft University of Technology. Her research focus is on (municipal and industrial) wastewater treatment systems and anaerobic processes, aiming to link the world of Biotechnology to Civil Engineering, as well as fundamental research into industrial applications. Her main research topics are hydrolysis processes in anaerobic treatment and granule formation and deterioration.
Merle's PhD and Post-Doctoral research involved the development of aerobic granular sludge technology and up scaling the technology from a three litre lab scale reactor to the full scale Nereda® process®. The first application of aerobic granular sludge technology in the Netherlands was opened in May 2012, and currently many more installations are being built, due to its compactness, low energy use and good effluent characteristics.
Her previous work experience also involved the position of water treatment technology innovator at Water authority Hollandse Delta on projects such as the Energy Factory, in which 14 water authorities cooperated to develop an energy-producing sewage treatment plant.
Associate professor at the Department of Water Management, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Delft University of Technology
PhD in Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology
MSc in Environmental Engineering, Wageningen University and Research Centre
- Keuten, MGA, Peters, MCFM, Daanen, HAM, Kreuk, MK de, Rietveld, LC & Dijk, JC van (2014). Quantification of continual anthropogenic pollutant release in swimming pools. Water Research, 53(April), 259-270.
- Keuten, MGA, Peters, MCFM, Daanen, HAM, Kreuk, MK de, Rietveld, LC & Dijk, JC van (2014). Quantification of continual anthropogenic pollutants released in swimming pools. Water Research, 53(April), 259-270.
- Pronk, M, Bassin, JP, Kreuk, MK de, Kleerebezem, R & Loosdrecht, MCM van (2014). Evaluating the main and side effects of high salinity on aerobic granular sludge. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 98(3), 1339-1348.
- Munoz Sierra, JD, Kreuk, MK de, Spanjers, H & Lier, JB van (2013). Anaerobic membrane bioreactor under extreme conditions. In s.n. (Ed.), Proceedings of the 1st Delft Process Technology Institute annual event 2013 (pp. 1-1). Delft: Delft process technology institute.
- Loosdrecht, MCM van, Pronk, M & Kreuk, MK de (2014). Nederlandse waterzuivering als export-product: Door Peter Baeten. Update - STW Relatiemagazine, 2(2), 9-11.