"Online education broadens the choice, also very much for on-campus learners. If their teacher is not engaging enough or they want additional material, they can now resort to online alternatives. This will force professors to become better teachers."
Felienne Hermans is associate professor at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science at Leiden University.
On Saturdays she teaches children programming in a local community centre. She is one of the organizers of the CurryOn conference, which aims to bridge the gap between industry and academia. Felienne was also one of the founders of the Joy of Coding conference, with a similar goal, which she organized for 6 years. Since 2016, she has been a host at SE radio, one of the most popular software engineering podcasts on the web.
The online course Data Analysis: Take it to the MAX, devised by Felienne Hermans, has been given the Wharton-QS gold education award in the category Regional Award Europe: the prize for the best education innovation project entry in Europe.
Felienne has been given the Open Education Award for Excellence 2018 for her exceptional dedication to high quality teaching and learning, and a commitment to the ideals of Open Education.
- Application of software engineering methods to spreadsheets.
Associate professor at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science at Leiden University
PhD, Delft University of Technology
MSc in Computer Science and Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology
- Hermans, FFJ (2013, January 23). Analyzing and visualizing spreadsheets. Delft University of Technology (162 pag.). Prom./coprom.: Prof.dr. A van Deursen & Dr.ir. M Pinzger.
- Hermans, FFJ, Sedee, B, Pinzger, M & Deursen, A van (2013). Data clone detection and visualization in spreadsheets. In D Notkin, BHC Cheng & K Pohl (Eds.), Proceedings 2013 35th International Conference on Software Engineering (pp. 292-301). Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE.
- Hermans, FFJ, Pinzger, M & Deursen, A van (2012). Detecting Code Smells in Spreadsheet Formulas. In P Tonella, M Di Penta & JI Maletic (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM) (pp. 409-418). Los Alamitos: IEEE.
- Hermans, FFJ, Pinzger, M & Deursen, A van (2012). Detecting and Visualizing Inter-Worksheet Smells in Spreadsheets. In M Glinz, G Murphy & M Pezzè (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) (pp. 441-451). New York / Los Alamitos: ACM / IEEE.
- Hermans, FFJ, Pinzger, M & Deursen, A van (2012). Measuring Spreadsheet Formula Understandability. EuSpRIG 2012: (2012, July 4 - 2012, July 5).