"Online education promises to improve every single aspect of the educational process. It can deliver higher quality study materials, provide more complete and precise efficiency metrics, and leave more room for interaction. I think the biggest challenge for us is learning how to use the new opportunities and figuring out what is best."
Anton Akhmerov is an assistant professor in the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience of Delft University of Technology and QuTech. Anton's research focuses on topological phenomena in condensed matter. He has invented efficient algorithms for characterising topological insulators, and predicted several mechanisms that allow the creation of topological insulators. He has created a scheme for using manipulating Majorana particles and using them in quantum computation.
My research interests mostly revolve around the field of mesoscopic conductors and superconductors. This includes the topics of graphene, topological insulators, and Majorana bound states. I am fascinated by quantum systems that behave in the most counter-intuitive or unusual ways.
Assistant professor at the Department of Theoretical Physics, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Delft University of Technology
PhD cum laude, Leiden University
MSc cum laude in Theoretical Physics, Leiden University
BSc cum laude in Applied Physics and Mathematics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
- Single fermion manipulation via superconducting phase differences in multiterminal Josephson junctions, B. van Heck, S. Mi, and A. R. Akhmerov, arXiv:1408.1563 [pdf], Phys. Rev. B 90, 155450 (2014).
- Kwant: a software package for quantum transport, C. W. Groth, M. Wimmer, A. R. Akhmerov, and X. Waintal, arXiv:1309.2926 [pdf], New J. Phys. 16, 063065 (2014).
- Flux-controlled quantum computation with Majorana fermions, T. Hyart, B. van Heck, I. C. Fulga, M. Burrello, A. R. Akhmerov, and C. W. J. Beenakker, arXiv:1303.4379 [pdf], Phys. Rev. B 88, 035121 (2013).
- Phase-locked magnetoconductance oscillations as a probe of Majorana edge states, M. Diez, I. C. Fulga, D. I. Pikulin, M. Wimmer, A. R. Akhmerov, and C. W. J. Beenakker, arXiv:1301.4400 [pdf], Phys. Rev. B 87, 125406 (2013).
- Statistical topological insulators, I. C. Fulga, B. van Heck, J. M. Edge, and A. R. Akhmerov, arXiv:1212.6191 [pdf], Phys. Rev. B 89, 155424 (2014).