Improve your strategies and decision making in the design, operation and maintenance of both infrastructure and rolling stock. Learn and apply the skills and knowledge needed to deal with the multifaceted aspects of railway systems.
This Professional Certificate Program in Railway Engineering consists of three career-oriented courses plus a capstone project. It is a highly practical program which will provide you with the appropriate tools and valuable insights in how to adopt this new systems approach to railway engineering and operations. Throughout the program you will work on many small projects and real-life cases and then conclude with a capstone project where you will receive personal guidance on a project or case of your choice.
List of courses
- Railway Engineering: Track and Train Interaction Read more
- Railway Engineering: Real Time Traffic Management Read more
- Railway Engineering: Performance over Time
- Railway Engineering: Capstone Project
Work on a real-life project and receive personalized guidance
Is this program for you?
This program will support rail professionals in managerial or advisory roles to develop a good operational understanding of a systems view of railway networks to enhance the quality of their investment decisions, innovation initiatives, analysis of technical failures, project documentation and system optimization.
Real Career Impact
"With the existing infrastructure and the current mobility needs in big cities, railway companies need to find innovative ways of handling disturbances and dealing with the maintenance of railway networks. This unique program will allow rail professionals to apply an integrated railway systems approach so they can implement appropriate innovations needed to optimize maintenance time, costs and safety."
- Taco Sysling - Head of Civil Engineering, Department of Asset Management, ProRail
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Make better decisions in specific situations when selecting the most suitable components of infrastructure and rolling stock.
- Analyze and then advise others on the effects of the interaction between the interfaces of track and train.
- Deal with factors interfering with transport planning in real-time situations.
- Develop strategies to optimize the capacity of the rolling stock on a railway network.
- Improve the reliability and performance of railway systems over time by making smarter decisions about monitoring and maintenance.
Download Syllabus First Course (Railway Engineering: Track and Train Interaction)
Benefit from our package prices!
Full Professional Certificate Program - consisting of three professional online courses plus an individual guided capstone project: € 1100 (saving up to € 400)
Individual courses: € 350 per course (the capstone project is € 450 and is only available to learners who complete all three courses)
You can enroll by clicking 'enroll now' on the right side of the screen and if you wish to be informed about news, announcements and other updates about these courses please leave your email address.
To keep trains running, improve services over time and offer faster and more comfortable travel, the rail industry is in need of professionals with the knowledge and skills to support innovation and provide sustainable and low-cost solutions. This entails the smart use of resources and the ability to meet the demands and requirements of all stakeholders involved. To do this successfully, experts need not only to master their own area of specialization, but be able to understand railway operations from a broader systems perspective. They need to be able to control, oversee and derive benefit from the connections and interactions between all the parameters, processes and interfaces of these complex technical systems, including those of a political rather than a technical nature.
Through understanding how all the interfaces relate, affect each other and influence the system, professionals can deploy more efficient ways of planning and implementing operational and maintenance strategies. This will ultimately have an impact on their decisions about investment, innovation and optimization.
This new Professional Certificate Program in Railway Engineering consists of the following three career-oriented courses and a capstone project:
- Railway Engineering: Track and Train Interaction
In this course you will learn the individual elements of infrastructure and rolling stock and how they connect and interact with each other. This will include the superstructure of railways, the properties of the most important materials, the wheel-rail interface and traction systems, and transition zones. Read more
- Railway Engineering: Real Time Traffic Management
In this course you will learn how to manage and organize the various transport planning and operation phases of railway systems. This will enable you develop strategies to optimize the capacity of your railway network, cope efficiently with the increasing number of commuters and volume of goods, and deal with unexpected situations. Read more
- Railway Engineering: Performance over Time
This course will start with a focus on the physical processes that cause these failures. You will learn how to identify typical failure modes and how to define an effective maintenance strategy for railway infrastructures. You will learn about performance by design, wear, strategic monitoring and maintenance optimization to enable you to make optimal maintenance decisions.
- Railway Engineering: Capstone Project
You will work on a design project that integrates the knowledge and skills gained from the first three courses. You will work on either your own project or on a project provided by the course team. The capstone project will be staff-graded and you will receive personalized guidance and feedback throughout.
With an integrated approach rail professionals can develop a wider focus. Without the right skills and knowledge, the choices they make will adversely affect performance. The resulting cost and time issues will impact negatively on both their companies and our wider society. TU Delft's unique systems approach to the engineering aspects of rail infrastructure and rolling stock will strengthen the operations, management and investments of the organizations in this sector. Companies will see an increase in their employees' quality of work and their potential to innovate. They will see a reduction in costs which previously resulted from errors due to lack of knowledge or technical background.
- There is increasing pressure on the labor market for railway engineers with integral knowledge of railways to deal with projects, operations and maintenance more efficiently. This has been reported as ongoing for many years but it is currently increasing every year. In the Netherlands alone, 40 new master-level railway engineers are needed every year. This does not even include the demand for professionals in the field of train operations.
- And it is an international issue too: "Transportation and logistics companies, including rail, will have a harder time employing workers with the needed skills, in the right place, at the right time. Strategies for managing talent are now on top of the CEO agenda: in a recent survey by PwC, 66% of CEOs say that a lack of the right skills is their biggest talent challenge." (source: SIAF International - Edition 2016).
See the Frequently Asked Questions on this program.
This program is primarily geared towards working professionals.
To fully benefit from these courses you should have basic knowledge and working experience in railways. This program is particularly aimed at Rail engineers, Rail system specialists, Rail system experts, Rail maintenance specialists/experts, Track maintenance specialists/experts, Safety specialists, Operations managers, Asset managers of track/train, and other professionals in managerial or advisory roles working in the railway sector.
This Professional Certificate Program has been designed so that knowledge is acquired gradually. We therefore recommend that learners follow the courses in the suggested order. The last course (Capstone Project) is only available to learners who complete all three courses.
In order to complete your enrollment you will be asked to upload the following document:
- a copy of your passport or ID card (no driver's license)